Faculty Research Fellowship
Deadline: December 15, 2016
The Office of the Provost invites applications for the Faculty Research Fellowships for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018. It is in Georgia State’s interest as a university to support its best faculty in their applications for prestigious and funded external fellowship awards. This is particularly important in the humanities, arts and professional disciplines where external research funding is not as common. The Faculty Research Fellowships will provide one-semester salary support to selected faculty members to facilitate their completion of applications for preeminent international and national fellowships or awards.
External fellowships and awards targeted as part of the Faculty Fellows Program should be those which provide funding to the awardee, either directly or through Georgia State for use by the awardee. A list of well-recognized funded fellowships is provided below, but others of equal stature will be accepted with justification.
Departments and colleges must agree as part of the application process to relieve the awardee from significant service and other unit obligations, except graduate student mentoring, during the semester of the Faculty Fellow award. The University will also assist each Faculty Fellow by providing administrative and technical support, as needed, for the completion of their external fellowship proposals.
To ensure that fellows who go on to be successful in garnering the externally funded fellowship are able to take full advantage of any related professional leave period associated with the award, the Provost will supplement, as needed, their College’s Professional Leave Program’s salary support during the external fellowship period.
Eligibility and Criteria
The competition is open to tenured or tenure-track graduate faculty. Criteria for selection include:
- The quality/prestige of the award or fellowship targeted by the applicant;
- The quality of the proposed project and its potential to be successful in the competition for the external award; and
- The applicant not have received a Provost’s Faculty Research Fellowship in the past five years.
The Office of the Provost will provide $25,000 to the successful fellow’s department to support one semester of course(s) buyout for the faculty fellow for Fall 2017 or Spring 2018. Any remaining funds can be used for other supporting activities related to the proposal.
- At the completion of the buyout semester, the faculty member must provide a report on progress made on the activities that had been proposed;
- One year following the award’s conclusion, the faculty recipient will be asked to provide a report indicating the status of their application to the external award/fellowship that was targeted in the proposal.
- A completed Provost’s Faculty Fellowship Application with signatures of chair and dean;
- A proposal (5 pages max.) which includes the following:
- Information on the external funded fellowship competition (requirements, prestige, funding if any, etc.) that has been targeted by the applicant and why he/she feels they are competitive for this award;
- the research, scholarship, or creative project on which their application will be based;
- elaboration of activities that will be undertaken during the buyout semester and the timeline for applying for the external award.
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae; and
- Names and contact information of 3 internal or external referees who are knowledgeable about the external fellowship’s requirements, the applicant’s credentials, and their potential for success.
Application materials should be uploaded by December 15, 2016 at OFAawards@gsu.edu.
Selection of Awardees
Proposals will be reviewed by a faculty committee appointed by the Provost. The committee may contact the candidate referees for additional information. Recipients of the Provost’s Faculty Research Fellowships will be notified in April 2017.
Questions? Please contact Kavita Pandit (email@example.com; 404-413-2584).
External Grants and Fellowships list
National Academy’s list (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/PGA_044718) (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/PGA_044718)
American Educational Research Association Fellowships (http://www.aera.net/ProfessionalOpportunitiesFunding/FundingOpportunities/tabid/10241/Default.aspx)